Not one of my own but definitely one that is worthy of recommendation: Coconut and turmeric Omelette of Ottolenghi – Flavour. It’s easy, different and fun to eat! And of course, a good quality Turmeric(kurkuma) will make this dish even better!
So, don’t worry this one will not take hours in the kitchen, shopping for difficult ingredients or make you so stressed that you cannot enjoy your own meal afterwards. And enjoying your own food is the essence of cooking, I think.
There are three elements: dipping sauce, salad and pancakes:
- 1 tsp The Good Spice turmeric powder – in store –
- 3 garlic cloves fine chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped (1ts of chili flakes will do as well)
- 3 shallots chopped
- 5 gr fresh ginger or 1ts of good quality ginger (taste it before you use it: is it fresh and sharp?)
- Zest (graded peel) of 1 lime (you need two in total for this recipe)
- 6 eggs
- 400ml of creamy coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 grapefruit
- 2 tbsp of rice vinegar (you can use white wine vinegar)
- 2 tbsp of mirin (mirin is a sweet Asian rice wine for cooking. Add some honey if you don’t have it)
- 2 red chillies fine chopped (1,5 tsp chilli flakes is also possible)
- Two hands full of green herbs (coriander, mint, parsley)
- 3 spring onions (chopped fine)
- Beansprouts or radish are optional
Start with the dressing. Put the ingredients together and set aside. Then make the salad by putting all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside in the fridge.
For the pancakes – Bake for 8 minutes on medium heat the cut shallot, garlic, chilli and a bit salt and if you use the fresh ginger, add as well. Meanwhile mix the egg, turmeric, lime zest, coconut milk, some salt and if you use ginger powder, add it now. Then add the shallot mix.
Bake the mix as you would do for regular pancakes but use oil and ensure to put only a little layer of the mix in the pan.
All done – Put the pancakes, salad and dressing on the table. Everyone can fill their own pancake with the salad and dressing and eat with their hands. Enjoy!